navigation

December 15, 2011

The Little Red Tarot, By Alexandra Seidel



The Seven of Wolves
Something that awaits beyond a turn in the road,
something that you can't quite see yet and therefore
something dark.

"Where to, on this twilight road? Most souls
you will encounter here, are like dead trees
in a wood of dead trees. Why don't you come with me?"

Three of Roads
A path that takes you to your destination
in a roundabout fashion;
a road that ends.

"Come, girl, let me show you where the butterflies are. Leave the flowers
for another day."

Ace of Grapes
A thing that is full turns empty,
a thing that is ripe stains;
conquests are not always glorious.

"Sweet as wine! Sweet
as pomegranate stains!
Sweet as melting warm cake on your tongue;
I said I'd show you butterflies, and so I did.
Moths is what the butterflies of the moon are called."

The Circling Staircase
Inevitability and hidden choices, the places
in which we hide our choices
to conjure a sense of inevitability; fear.

"I am tired now, want to find sleep in your arms.
I am so tired, but at least in your arms,
I can sleep."

The Well, Reversed
Chance encounters, chances that come
like the flip of a coin;
meeting old friends and faces from the past.

"My girl, finally you're home! Your mother said
she'd sent you to me. Do not take roundabout roads
and what are you babbling, dear,
my face isn't his, my face isn't his...?"

Five of Stones
Something that is resolved
with the stitching together
of two frayed edges; a weight.

"There you are, don't leave me
asleep in the wake of twilight; all the trees
are dead in this forest, there is nothing
in this place for you to return to.
I don't know much but I believe
that the greatest love is like hunger.
Come to me, I'll starve no more."



Alexandra Seidel's writing can be found at Strange HorizonsStone Telling, Mythic Delirium and elsewhere. She edits poetry for Niteblade and Fantastique Unfettered and really tries updating her blog once or twice a month: www.tigerinthematchstickbox.blogspot.com

4 comments:

Katrina said...

So odd, but a really intriguing spin on a classic fairy tale. Thanks for writing this!

Lorraine said...

Great idea to use Tarot cards in this tale--fits well!

Alexa said...

Thank you both for reading and commenting, Cat and Lorraine!

Megan W. said...

very interesting take on the story. Strange the use of tarot cards but works well, if not a little eerie or spooky. Though the events that happen are not very clear it was a really cool way to retell little red riding hood. very interesting indeed. Good work though.

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS