navigation

July 1, 2016

Phoenix Rising, By Adina Newman


Among nebulous clouds I soar
endlessly; a static filled flight
repeatedly lacking in energy
electricity
and spark.

In a single moment the heavens
ignite and I feel
a lightness; an evanescent fever
to last a lifetime.

A balmy decision ensues.

Icarus flew too close
yet not far enough
dipped wingtips into the Sun
razing himself; the ultimate prostration
to an abyssal eternity.

I take a chance

Sacrifice to a blazing paramour
arms draw me close into a heated
embrace; I am
falling
or diving
to the ground
majestically; scorched to the depths
a body on fire
a heart aflame.

Ashes to ashes,
I arise from the dust.

Adina Newman's poetry has previously appeared at EC as well as NonBinary Review, Literary Orphans, Decades Review, Yes, Poetry, and other print and electronic publications. She lives in the Washington, D.C. area with her husband and two children.

No comments:

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS