navigation

March 28, 2017

Animal Bridegroom Stories on Jezebel

 
Kelly Faircloth, a writer for Jezebel--one of the rare sites that takes fairy tales and their power to compel culture seriously--has a story on animal bridegrooms posted today. Here you go: https://tinyurl.com/nyy9aq9

Faircloth not only digs into Maria Tatar's new book about animal bridegrooms (more on that in another post), but investigates her topic using academic sources--rare in journalism. It's highly readable and offers food for thought and potential research sources, as well as some great art.

Animal bridegroom stories have a major ick factor, which is why Hollywood cleans them up. But they tell ugly, harsh truths about family life and the lot of women in marriage. It's always encouraging to see popular websites digging deeply into truth in fairy tales.

Of course, the monster hit that the live action Beauty and the Beast has proved to be means we'll be seeing stories about fairy tales for awhile. I haven't seen the movie. Have you?

Check out Faircloth's story.

6 comments:

AMOffenwanger said...

Yes, I've seen it, and very much enjoyed it.
I love the Villeneuve reprint Faircloth linked to - I want a copy. Before now, the full book was really hard to find.

Jennifer Shelby said...

That was a great read, thank you for sharing it. I once shared a Little Mermaid retelling with a critique group and a few members advised me that they "had never seen that movie." I thought that rather horrifying, particularly considering how the tale's meaning is lost with Disney's happy ending.

Anonymous said...

Haven't seen it, yet, but will soon. My 16-year-old daughter is begging!
-Rebecca van den Ham

Unknown said...

I really want to see it. Hopefully in the next few weeks.

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen it, yet. But I had never thought of the Animal Bridgroom Stories as a category before. That's fascinating! ~ Luisa

Lissa Sloan said...

Thanks for this post. Great article. I am looking forward to getting my hands on Maria Tatar's book and a Villeneuve translation. I have not gone rushing out to see the film yet, nor do I plan to. I loved Disney's animated version, but I am disappointed (but not surprised) that yet again, they choose to do such a faithful sounding remake of their original film. I want to see something new and different, not a rehash of Disney's former glory.

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS