navigation

June 28, 2017

With Diamond Dress, By Michael Delaney



He tells me nightly
as he brushes the golden locks
that keep me
here, we're
gazing at my
likeness

Why do I feel
like the pale reflection?

Blue eyes
stare back at me
my mother’s, he says
his little princess
is growing up, it’s not fair
being the fairest.

Running
a hand
through silver hair, he
compliments
my blood red lips
I bite my tongue

Focus on the frame
as his hands trace mine
a familiar line
only wants my happiness
where’s my happy ever after?

I’ll do anything
he says, with diamond dress
waiting in the wings
should I fly into his arms
just name it
even Rumpelstiltskin’s name is
not too much to ask

“Bring Mother back,” I tell him.


Michael is a short story writer and occasional poet, with a passion for fairy tales, folklore and mythology.  His work is featured on the website Mythraeum, and his Native American fairy tales were finalists in Crown in a Box's short story contest, "Redefine a Princess." 

1 comment:

Lissa Sloan said...

Creepy--I love the ending line!

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS