navigation

December 12, 2017

Rebellion of Good Samaritans by Matthew Wilson

A starving shoemaker of little means
with winter knocking on the door...
Poverty has hardened my heart
making prisoners of good Samaritans
the elves found me in great depression
a starving shoemaker of little means.

I fell into bed sick with no will to wake
but when I did my orders were filled
a dozen fresh boots were cobbled
I knew I'd never have to work again.

The note left by the elves demanded whiskey
such little payment for those boots
but winter was knocking on my door
I caught the little helpers one by one.

My shoe making is better than my chains
I would have made those elves my slaves
but now I am prisoner in my own home
tied up with thorned shoes upon my feet.

Matthew Wilson, 34, has been published over 150 times in such places as Horror Zine, Star*Line, Spellbound, Alban Lake, Zimbell House Publishing, Space & Time Magazine and many more. He is currently editing his first novel.

Follow him on Twitter: @matthew94544267.

POEM Art by Amanda Bergloff

1 comment:

Guy S. Ricketts said...

Wonderfully dark poem of a less than honorable cobbler getting cobbled by the very elves, the Good Samaritans, he (or she) meant to enslave. Love the justice and irony of this shoemaker finding the shoe to be on the other foot. And in a poem no less!

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS