navigation

February 25, 2018

Fairy Tale Flash Monday - The Princess Who Wanted Nothing and Everything

What is the gift 
of nothing and everything?
There was once a beautiful princess named Epiphany who lived with her parents, the king and queen of the kingdom. The king had decided it was time for her to be married and announced that the princes of all the lands come forth to see who was worthy of his daughter’s hand. The princess did not want to marry just any prince. Epiphany wanted to marry someone who was kind. She told her father that she would only marry a young man who came offering a special present for her.

When the king asked her what she would ask from them she responded, “I want nothing and everything.”


The king was flustered but decided to go along with his daughter’s wishes. He announced alongside the queen that all possible suitors must bring a present containing nothing and everything.


Soon afterwards princes began to arrive. The first ten all brought approximately the same thing. Trunks filled with jewelry, silk dresses, gold coins, spices, and perfume were presented to Epiphany.


Upon observing their offerings she responded, “You have brought everything, but you did not bring nothing. Therefore, I cannot marry you.”

The next ten hopeful princes brought nothing. One by one they greeted the king, queen, and the Princess Epiphany with empty hands.

She said to them, “You brought nothing, but you did not bring everything. Therefore, I cannot marry you.”

Many more princes came but they all received rejections. The king and queen began to feel nervous as they worried that no prince would be the correct one.
As everyone despaired, one morning changed everything. A handsome prince named Seldry was presented. He was humble and seemed trustworthy.
“Princess Epiphany, it is an honor to meet you,” he began. “I bring you a present that I hope you will enjoy.”
He opened his hand to show the gift. The princess and her parents leaned forward in their seats and squinted but could not see anything.
“I knew it,” sighed the king. “This one is no different than the others. He has brought nothing!”
Epiphany was not so sure. She felt he was different than the other princes.
Seldry spoke again, “Forgive me, but I did bring a gift. What I have in my hand is very small.” He walked closer so they could see.
He continued, “This is a seed for a tree that will bring delicious fruit when it is grown. From the fruit, more seeds will come which can be used to plant more trees. As the years pass, the gardens of this kingdom will have a grand orchard. By then this present would have turned into everything, such as food or shade, and even more. So you see, I brought nothing, accompanied with a promise for everything.”
Epiphany smiled with joy, “Prince Seldry, you have brought nothing and everything. Therefore, I can marry you.”
The king and queen rejoiced, and soon, the young couple was wed with a promise to care for their orchard together.
Carmen Redondo took several writing courses during her college career where she enjoyed learning about different styles of writing. She has always loved reading fairy tales, incorporating elements of fantasy and magic in her writing. She has a soft spot for fairy tales that are sweet love stories.

Story Graphics: Amanda Bergloff

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Carmen, congratulations! I loved your story!

AMOffenwanger said...

I love this!! You had me on the edge of my seat, wondering what the "nothing and everything" was going to be. Well done.

Anonymous said...

Great, interesting story. You did a great job!

Moth Rah said...

A very sweet story, holding a seed of truth ;-)

Carmen said...

Thank you so much!! I appreciate it!!

Carmen said...

Thank you so much, it means a lot!!!

Carmen said...

Thank you so much!!

Carmen said...

Thank you so much! Glad you liked it!!

Anonymous said...

Dear Carmen it's a lovely story with values, much needed nowadays. Congratulations!!!

Carmen said...

Thank you so much, I'm so glad you liked the message of the story. I appreciate it!!!

Guy S. Ricketts said...

I was wondering how someone could give nothing yet everything, and how I might answer this puzzle. I enjoyed the revelation of the seed, and how clever the solution is. Terrific, fun story, Carmen!

Carmen said...

Thank you so much!!

Perhin Madoc Gamgins said...

I loved reading this tale to pieces! Simple and so very sweet. :)

Carmen said...

Hello! So glad you liked my story! I appreciate it. :) thank you!

SITE DESIGNED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS